Electrical Safety Practical Skills for Switchgear
This training program is eligible for an early bird discount of $100 if registered 60 days out (or more) and will be automatically applied at checkout!
At the end of this training program attendees will be able to:
- Describe Switchgear types, construction and operation
- Perform safe technique for racking in and out of a Low Voltage Power Circuit Breaker
- Perform installation of personal protective grounds
- Why This Training Program
- Who Should Take This Training Program
- What You'll Learn
- Training Program Description
Why You should take this training program
This course provides the practical skills and knowledge for working on or about electrical low and medium-voltage switchgear. NFPA 70E, standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace, requires qualified workers to demonstrate their “skills and knowledge related to the construction and operation of electrical equipment and installations…” In addition, the standard requires employees learn to identify hazards and reduce risk.
This course addresses low and medium voltage switchgear construction and operations and, helps participants identify hazards about this equipment and teaches steps they can take to minimize risk. The NTT Low Voltage Switchgear trainer allows participants to follow written procedures to electrically operate a low voltage power circuit breaker, rack-in and rack-out breakers and, perform infrared and visual inspections of circuit breakers. Participants will also install and remove temporary protective grounds using ground clusters and a shotgun.
Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and Contact HoursDownload Training Program PDF
Upon completion of this training program, the attendee will receive a certificate of completion. Please contact your state or local licensing agency to determine if this training program is accepted for Continuing Education recognition by the agency.
Who Should Take This Training Program
People who will benefit from attending this course include:
- Electrical workers who work on or about switchgear
- Plant operators who operate electrical switchgear
- HSE personnel responsible for implementing electrical safety programs that include any routine operation or maintenance of switchgear
What You'll Learn
This course addresses low and medium voltage switchgear construction and operations and helps participants identify hazards about this equipment and teaches steps they can take to minimize risk.
The NTT Low Voltage Switchgear trainer allows participants to follow written procedures to electrically operate a low voltage power circuit breaker, racking and rack-out breakers and, perform infrared and visual inspections of circuit breakers.
Participants will also install and remove temporary protective grounds using ground clusters and a shotgun.
Training Program Description
SWITCHGEAR AND POWER CIRCUIT BREAKER BASICS
- Types and ratings of switchgear and circuit breakers
- Identifying switchgear hazards
- Understanding breaker clearing times
- Recommended power circuit breaker and switchgear maintenance
- Switchgear battery maintenance and safety
- NEC® requirements for switchgear
- Review of one-line drawings and typical switching procedures
- Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS) operation
- Manual switching operations
- Maintenance Switch operation
- Switching transient issues: transformer isolation, paralleling
HANDS-ON EXERCISES. PARTICIPANTS PERFORM THE FOLLOWING EXERCISES:
- Develop a Job Safety Plan for switchgear work
- Inspect equipment
- Determine if Normal Operation applies
- Read and interpret labels
- Determine PPE for Shock Hazard protection
- Determine method to select PPE for Arc Flash Protection
- Identify steps in the work process and assess hazards for each step
- Select and prepare PPE
- Determine and setup boundaries
- Perform Infrared Thermography inspection
- Use ultrasonic detector or partial discharge tester as applicable to monitor for signs of arcing
- Demonstrate safe work practices for breaker opening/closing
- Demonstrate safe work practices for racking breakers
- Perform a visual inspection of breaker and cubicle
- Use a digital high voltage phasing meter to test for voltage on the NTT grounding trainer
- Install and remove temporary personal protective grounds on the NTT grounding trainer
NTT Training is actively monitoring the incidence of Covid-19 in the United States. Upcoming events may be impacted by daily changes made by National, State, and Local entities regarding events, travel, and quarantine. Contact us regarding questions for your schedule at 1-855-712-7353.
1. Select a date and location to register
2. Confirm & Checkout
Select Training Location and Date:
By clicking the checkbox below, you certify that...
- You are registering to take this class on behalf of your current employer/company and
- My employer/company is paying for this training
Call (855) 712-7353 for more info on schedule and pricing.
Training Program Pricing
1-Day Lecture: $600 / Participant
This training program may be included with other training or as a standalone course. As such, training time depends on training program length as determined by your outcome goals. Please call (855) 712-7353 or CONTACT NTT TRAINING to discuss your unique needs.
Don’t see a local training program in your area? Call (855) 712-7353 for more info on schedule and pricing!100% of NTT's offering can be brought to your facility Request On-Site Training